Clothing Projects

Infusible ink – first and second attempt

My daughter and I wanted to make Disney princess shirts for our first try at using Infusible Ink transfer sheets by Cricut. We bought the Cricut Infusible Ink compatible shirts. Kaydence really wanted Rapunzel and I looked for a Merida silhouette.

I thought the rainbow sheet looked really cool! I took the sheets out of the box and saw a pastel rainbow. I was a little confused. I watched a couple youtube tutorials to see if I was missing something. The first video I watched said they are more vibrant when they’re transferred so I felt a little better.

These are the first sheets I bought.

I knew this shirt would be a little big on my 3-year old but there seemed to be a bit of a gap between the baby onesies and the girls sizes. We went with a small girls size and it was a bit of a dress.

The cut setting on my Cricut Explore Air 2 was set to custom and I chose the Infusible Ink setting. Personally, it was a pain to weed. Some people tried different settings and other people said it was easy to weed. I haven’t tried any other settings yet but maybe for future projects.

All done the Rapunzel cut.

I cut around the cut so I could preserve the rest of the sheet for other projects.

You can see in the picture that I had a difficult time. It feels like cardstock paper and a bit fragile. I’m used to weeding vinyl which is a little more hearty. I watched a youtube video where the person folded the transfer sheet and it cracked on the cuts and it looked really easy to just peel off the negatives with her fingers. I used a weeding tool and cursed the whole way through.

The instructions are pretty clear about the next part. I use a Cricut Easy Press but Infusible Ink is made for the Easy Press 2. It just means I let mine sit a little longer. The original press doesn’t heat up quite as hot as you need but my transfer still turned out great. You’ll do this on an ironing board or if you have an easy press mat like me you can use this instead. I have the mat and a thick piece of cardstock paper inside the shirt, positioned where the transfer will go. I put the butcher paper down that comes with the transfer sheets and preheat the area on the shirt.

Next, lay down the cut you’ve just weeded. The backing has a grip pattern which makes it easier to align on your shirt.

Follow the instructions for the Easy Press heat guide! I never do an iron-on project without checking thisĀ guide first. It’ll tell you exactly how long and how hot to iron. You can see I didn’t place the press quite as high on the picture as I should have. The top of her head is a little fuzzy. Fortunately, my daughter didn’t notice at all.

Next, my Merida shirt. I wanted the silhouette with Merida and her mother as a bear, seen below. I couldn’t get this to work on Cricut Design Space so I had to find another solution.

I looked through the Cricut access images to find a bear that I could use as the outside silhouette. Finding a Merida was easy enough. I wanted the bear to be facing forward and I wanted it to have a simple and smooth quality.

I found the Merida silhouette. There were still a couple people that didn’t know what princess this was.

You can see below that I found another bear image and I used the rainbow transfer sheet again.

Clothing Projects

Rapunzel wig

The coveted wig! I am personally not a big fan of halloween but my daughter loves dressing up. She watches Tangled at least once a day so I wasn’t surprised when she wanted to be Rapunzel for halloween. She was lucky enough to get the real Disney dress and shoes but I wanted to try making the wig myself. I started by searching Pinterest and I found this helpful tutorial. I followed it pretty closely. I couldn’t find a suitable hat for the base so I used tights instead. And I machine sewed instead of hand sew. And I found the most beautiful yarn!

I started by setting up my dining chairs 40″ apart. This was the most back-breaking part. I wound the yarn around until all 3 skeins were done. I cut the yarn at one end and tied a leftover piece of yarn around the middle to keep it together.

I bought tights at Dollarama and put them on my daughter’s head. I drew where the part in her hair would be and drew a line from ear to ear to measure where I could cut the tights to make a decent wig cap. I sewed up the cap to keep the seam inside.

I’m ashamed to say I didn’t get many pictures of the next part. The tutorial I left a link to at the beginning of this post shows this process pretty clearly.

After the yarn was sewn on you can see that it’s very long! It will lose some of the length when it’s braided.

The first time trying it out! She was pretty excited.

My daughter can’t sit still for any length of time so I used one of her balls as a mannequin for the rest of the process. The yarn kept falling in our faces and you could see massive bald spots so I decided to sew down the front layer of yarn.

I rested the ball in between my chairs to braid the yarn.

I put a smaller braid in the yarn and then braided the entire wig.

Next, I found some battery-operated lights that we weren’t using for anything else. I wove the wire throughout the entire wig. I started with the battery pack end so I could make sure it hung underneath at the nape of the neck. That way my daughter could tuck it in the back of her dress.

Now is the fun part! I found some dollar store flowers and hot glued them in place. I turned the lights on first so I didn’t cover up the twinkles. I trimmed the ponytail so the yarn was even at the ends.

It was quite heavy when it was completed but she absolutely loved it.