Teaching

Music Corn Hole

I recently bought a bass guitar for the music room and the cardboard box was sitting there staring at me. I decided to cut the box in half to make a corn hole game.

At the time I had students working in centres and one of my centres wasn’t cutting it. I quickly replaced that centre with music corn hole. I numbered each hole so I could change up the game whenever I wanted. For the centre I had a different 4-beat rhythm to clap for each hole. I could write the rhythms up on the board and adjust it according to the grade and difficulty I needed.

Afterwards they sat on the shelf for a week before I started an “introduction to the orchestra” unit with my little ones. I got the boxes back out and had 4/5 holes assigned to an instrument family and the fifth was a free choice. It was used either as a review or a diagnostic depending on the grade, to see if they could name an instrument belonging to that family. The rule was that you could only use an instrument once and I wrote them down when a student picked it.

Teaching

Vinyl Music Stickers

In an effort to make my room more colourful I decided to create stickers with musical terminology to stick on my classroom walls.

I used all of the available words in the Quarter Note cartridge on Cricut Design Space. I sized each word so that they were 3″ tall, no matter the width.

I tried to evenly distribute them among the 8 colours I wanted to use. Using the colour sync tool is amazing. It ensures the reds are all the same shade so they all cut on the same piece of vinyl or paper.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 12.55.51 PM

I ended up having about 4-5 words per colour.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 12.56.23 PM

With 8 different colours.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 12.56.32 PM

I didn’t have one big open wall so I decided to spread them out around my room. As you can see, my sound proofing is gray, walls are gray, floors are gray and my new cupboards are gray. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very lucky to have a renovated room. It really just needs some colour.

(Excuse the mess. I have a lot of junk that I can’t seem to throw away but it’s either broken or useless to me. It ends up on these filing cabinets.)

56985659161__ffbf7d9c-3cf3-4b7b-8392-80fe89d6d25c.jpg

After applying all the words (Which was no small feat) I made a list of the words as a checklist and let my students search for the words as a scavenger/treasure hunt. The one thing that made this difficult was the cursive writing.

Teaching

Boomwhacker Hanger

It’s been a while! I haven’t been as crafty as I’d like to be. We recently had two ice days with our school board so I had time to catch up on projects.

In my music classroom I like to keep my instruments readily available and they’re so colourful that it’s fun to have them on display. But my boomwhacker storage was NOT working for me. I bought buckets for each note and they’d get knocked over multiple times a day. The kids are so great but they’d all jump over each other to try and help me organize them again and then my lesson was off the tracks.

I came up with a solution I thought might help! My walls and cupboards are all newly painted and fresh but very gray. I’ve been trying to brighten things up and I thought hanging the boomwhackers could be a cool way to do that.

I visited the fabric store and found some striped pink fabric for $4.00/metre. Not bad! I bought 2 metres not really knowing about a plan yet.

I laid the fabric down on the floor and brainstormed with my husband a bit. I have 13 notes and 5 boomwhackers per note. So in all I have to house 65 boomwhackers. I knew I wanted to have 2 hangers to frame the window on my exterior wall.

6D677535-50A7-46BF-A385-8BAB5EDC2AE6

I laid a couple boomwhackers down to measure out the pockets. I figured I couldn’t do individual boomwhacker pockets so I decided to have 5 per pocket instead.

D0FBF6F9-1991-4F16-8DF3-1E0EA808A0A9

I cut the long piece (about 7 feet) length-wise in half. These would be my two hangers.

ABEB6266-6109-4154-B260-0F754CA1C418

Then, I cut the fabric in half again (also known as quarters). Each length is about 13.75″ wide. I wasn’t being picky about exact measurements. In the next few steps I’m sure I’ll show a couple things that will make experienced sewers cringe.

E52A4D94-B060-4A8B-8A2B-4A0F2829C140

I ironed the fabric.

51FFC212-C4AE-484A-B428-F6FC478AB2D7

I eyeballed the length-wise seams and ironed them to make sewing easier.

9D8E9125-1B5B-4C26-B009-7F06B4F639707D19CE18-1BC0-424E-88C2-4BC1CEED2220

I sewed along both sides of the length seams.

1886F44F-21B2-4D9D-8288-D6056BC95680

Next, I took 2 lengths and lined them up right sides together. Along the top short sides, I sewed a seam.

8987F0E5-781F-485B-8DCE-1BB95EB3BCBD

I turned it right side out and sewed the seam flat. I also added another straight stitch about 1 1/2 inches below. I wanted to add grommets to hang this on the wall so I left some space for those.

89CDE215-DB26-4994-BE9C-17DDDBD000D6

The finished seam on the bottom.

95838A1E-A579-4A3A-ABC8-C9977C0E8CE3

Next, I had to pin the front and back pieces together where I wanted the pockets to end. I fit my 5 boomwhackers in between the fabric and measured about 7.25″ per pocket.

AEA672A6-9D16-4AF4-B2D6-24730FD05B61

I pinned all the way down and sewed along the lines I created.

6C7546F2-3AED-468D-BE7F-5E30012997CC

The lines on the fabric aren’t completely straight which makes my lines look sloppier than they really are. They turned out fairly well! I had 6 pockets in one hanger and 7 in the other.

BB8D643B-5ADA-43D4-869B-A78752AEFB4E

I created an extra pocket at the bottom of the short piece for my octavator tube caps so they’ll look more symmetrical on the wall.

E796071F-3AAD-49D2-9362-FCEAEC61341B

Here is what I have! As soon as it was safe to drive again I got some grommets and 3M hooks.